September 7, 2013

Picking the Perfect Woman (I mean Land)

Deciding where to build a house is a lot like deciding who to marry:  There are a lot of options, it's a big committment (so you don't want to rush into it), and you definitely know when you've got it right!  I dated Emily for 7 years before marrying her, so I think I did pretty good deciding where to build our house after only 3 years!

This was our criteria for where to build:
  1. Close to my work
    • With the hours I keep, minimizing the commute is essential!
  2. Quiet, paved road
    • Who has time to wash cars?
  3. Privacy without feeling isolated
    • We wanted our own space but close enough to other families for the kids to have friends
  4. City Water & Sewer
    • Mmm...Fluoride...
We actually purchased two ajoining lots from different people (an interesting exercise in negotiating to say the least) and had them combined (which involved my first city counsel meeting, several trips to city hall, and a stop by the county recorders office!).  In the end, we have a little over 1 acre within the city limits.

And that's how we got our new address:  1010 Lake Shore Drive

  • Despite the name, we aren't on the lake.  It's across the street!




No comments:

Post a Comment